For class Monday/Tuesday, please read pages 658-673. Look for these key points:
- What role did France play in the ability of Latin American nations to gain their independance? (pg. 660)
- Who was Simón Bolivar? What nations did he help gain independence? (pg.660-662)
- What was the colony of Mexico like in 1810? (pg. 662)
- What roles did Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla and José María Morelos have in helping Mexico gain its independence from Spain?
- How did Brazil gain its independence from Brazil? What role did Prince Pedro play? (pg. 664)
- Who were the personalist leaders and what two examples does the book discuss? (pgs. 665-668)
- What does the text mean when it says that regionalism was a "threat"? (pgs. 668-670)